Thursday, November 26, 2015

Lost college student

It's graduation day, finally. I wear my bright blue cap and gown proudly, I worked my tail off these past two years for this day. I was finally graduating Modesto junior college with an AA-T degree in communications, not bad. I was heading somewhere, or so I thought. I had no idea what I wanted to major in and even less of an idea of what I actually wanted as a career, *sigh.* I started panicking and found myself wishing that I was in kindergarten again which was the only time that "wanting to become a power ranger when I grow up" was acceptable. And that was that. No worries. No stress. With my AA-T degree, I was ready to attend a four year university. I had my roommates picked out as well as an apartment; I was ready to move in in a few months. As the days flew by and move in date became closer, I texted my rommate that I wanted out. Yup, I cancelled my dreams of finally moving out of my parents home because I didn't know which major I wanted to pursue and came to the conclusion that moving out would be a waste of time and major bucks. I wanted to move out just to move out and "live the fast life" at the time. But the more I thought, I was only damaging my future. I decided to take a semester off to relax and really think about which career I wanted to pursue- which career would actually pay off? I always heard of students with years of education under their belt left careerless and in debt, I wasn't going to take that chance or be that person. I did tons of research with spring semester right around the corner and still have no idea what I want to major in. Maybe I can open up my own business? Or make YouTube videos? Or write a bunch of novels? I don't know, but I do know that being unsure of which career you want to pursue is okay. It's a big decision and there are a lot of options. My best advice would be to do what you love, regardless of whether or not it'll pay off because if you genuinely love it, it most likely will. You will make the best of it. It's okay to be frightened or unsure, just don't let it get in the way of you living your life and realize that you're not alone.
Sincerely, lost college student

No comments:

Post a Comment